Jardins Intérieurs Project
The City of Saint-Lambert is currently studying the project proposed by COGIR to expand the Jardins Intérieurs, a private residence for seniors located on Victoria Avenue near the Country Club of Montréal golf course.
Reasons for the project
The project presented by COGIR is justified by a growing demand from independent seniors who wish to remain in Saint-Lambert. Phase 3 would prevent active seniors from having to relocate to other municipalities.
Adjacent municipalities welcome private residences adapted to the needs of independent seniors, a clientele that energizes the urban community and is essential to preserving Saint-Lambert’s economic vitality.
Presentation of the project
COGIR plans to construct a third building that will be connected to the neighbouring buildings by a walkway or corridor and by the underground parking lot.
The main features would be:
- 200 apartments of various sizes (complementing what is offered in the existing buildings);
- a building height of approximately 12 storeys;
- contemporary architecture similar to that of the existing buildings;
- a shadow cast only within the property boundaries;
- a modern building with high energy efficiency and low water consumption in accordance with improved design concepts;
- an energy-saving system (heating/air-conditioning) and high-performance windows; and
- each apartment will have a balcony and generous windows (lots of natural light in each unit).
All about the project!
Learn more about the context and details of the project by consulting the presentation prepared by COGIR.
Discussions between the City of Saint-Lambert and COGIR have led to agreement on an optimal plan for the building’s location.
Depending on the actual site conditions, the best option for the City and COGIR will result in an exchange of pieces of land of the same size:
- 1) Portion of municipal land to be relinquished to COGIR
- 2) Portion of COGIR land to be acquired by the City of Saint-Lambert
This operation would make it possible to preserve a high-quality park behind the residences and a wooded area near the houses on Du Limousin Street as well as near Victoria Avenue. In other words, the size of Du Limousin Park would not be reduced.
Advantages of the project
For citizens, the concrete advantages of this land exchange would be as follows:
- a piece of fallow land in precarious natural condition, including several sick or dead ash trees, would be exchanged for a well-laid out and long-maintained wooded area of equivalent size;
- a wooded area in the vicinity of Du Limousin Street would be extended to ensure peace and quiet for local residents;
- a green belt around the property would be maintained and an improved tree cover would be preserved;
- the building would be oriented in such a way as to preserve a wooded strip along Victoria Avenue; and
- the park area between Riverside Street and Victoria Avenue would be consolidated.
For citizens, the concrete advantages of this project would be as follows:
- it would address the lack of available housing for seniors, thus reducing the need for them to relocate to other municipalities;
- COGIR would make a financial contribution of $1 million to the City of Saint-Lambert, which could then reinvest this money in the project of its choice;
- annual tax revenues would be generated by this new rental building; and
- future active residents would be able to participate in the City’s municipal and economic life.
For this type of project, the City requires the following mandatory steps:
- notice of motion, presentation of a draft by-law and adoption of the first draft by-law by City Council: June 11, 2018
- public consultation, including a brief presentation of the project: July 10, 2018
- adoption of a second draft by-law by City Council: August 27, 2018
- period for holding a register: September 5 to 13, 2018
- adoption of the definitive by-law by City Council: October 15, 2018
Depending on how the situation unfolds, the next step could be the opening of a register or the coming into force of the by-law.
To learn more
If you have any questions about this project, contact the Urban Planning, Permits and Inspection Department at 450-466-3277 or email@example.com.